Friday, June 22, 2012

baking

(teeny bit crustier than necessary. I forgot it was in the oven)

I made some bread with Rolley a few weeks ago and loved it so much I bought a paper sack of bakers flour, borrowed a recipe book from the library and haven't stopped. I love the mixing, the kneading, the anticipation as you wait for the dough to rise, the yeasty smell, the baking, the warm smell of fresh bread all through the house, and Oh! right out of the oven with butter and perhaps a little honey. I even like finding bits of flour and dried dough in unexpected places (elbow, anyone?)

Ok, honestly sometimes kneading can get a bit tedious, then I try to get all zen and meditative, or just channel any frustrations. Also I have a slight wheat intolerance. But with lots of friends around a loaf rarely lasts overnight, and it's just not enough to stop me.
 
So far I have made Indian naan bread (little bit too thick), banana loaf (teeny bit burnt), pizza bases (accidentally made enough dough for 8 bases), tuscan bread (wee bit sunk), baguettes (boomerang shaped to fit on the oven tray), cob loaves (hollowed out and filled with cheese and spinach dip for family bbq) and apricot walnut loaf (slightly crustier than anticipated. I forgot it was in the oven.) And they were all delicious!

I'd also like to try ciabatta, bagels, pretzels, cinnamon scrolls, gingerbread, apple bread, rye bread, sourdough bread, bread pudding, focaccia and mixed grain spelt bread. 
Let's see how I feel about it then.

Have you baked bread? What's your favourite?

2 comments:

  1. heheeee yayyyyy I love baking!! i love the whole process :) and also, how your skin feels after kneading.. smooth skin? depends if you put butter or oil in your dough i suppose! when you come up next maybe we should try a new type of bread!? :o :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. psssst! you and I need to bake again soon!! mmm baking!

    ReplyDelete